New York, NY – Linden Frederick collaborates with fifteen of America’s most celebrated writers for Linden Frederick: Night Stories, a multidisciplinary exhibition of fifteen new paintings and original short fiction, on view from May 11 through June 30, 2017 at Forum Gallery in New York City.
A roster of America’s most renowned, celebrated, and honored authors were invited by Linden Frederick to write a work of short fiction inspired by one of fifteen paintings in Night Stories. Such a collaboration is an unprecedented concept for both Linden Frederick and Forum Gallery.
The 15 authors whose fiction is featured in Night Stories are:
• Pulitzer Prize-winner Anthony Doerr (All the Light We Cannot See)
• National Book Award-finalist Andre Dubus III (House of Sand and Fog)
• National Book Award-winner Louise Erdrich (The Round House)
• National Book Award-finalist Joshua Ferris (Then We Came to the End)
• Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen (Rizzoli & Isles series)
• Academy Award-nominee Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
• Kirkus Prize-winner Lily King (Euphoria)
• Edgar Award-winner Dennis Lehane (Mystic River)
• Newberry Medal-winner Lois Lowry (The Giver)
• PEN/Faulkner Award-winner Ann Patchett (Bel Canto)
• New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice (Crazy in Love)
• Pulitzer Prize-winner Richard Russo (Empire Falls)
• Pulitzer Prize-winner Elizabeth Strout (Olive Kitteridge)
• Academy Award-winner Ted Tally (The Silence of the Lambs)
• PEN USA Award-winner Daniel Woodrell (Winter’s Bone)
Linden Frederick’s paintings are nocturnal visions of rural and small-town America, and imbued with a rich sense of mystery, both “ominous and sublime” (Maine Home & Design). Frederick’s signature style has drawn comparisons to that of Edward Hopper; but in Frederick’s work a human presence is only suggested.
“From concept to initiation, this project has been seven years in the making,” says Linden Frederick. “My paintings have a strong narrative element. The growing number of authors, screenwriters, and playwrights collecting my work, and the resulting conversations with them as to why they are connecting so strongly to it as storytellers, made me decide an exhibit defining and honoring that connection could broaden the traditional art viewing experience and provide a cross-cultural entry point for a wider audience.”
Glitterati Arts Incorporated will publish Night Stories, a book of paintings included in the exhibition together with the short fiction inspired by them, hitting stores in October 2017. In advance of the official publication date, a limited quantity of the book will be available for purchase in person at Forum Gallery, concurrent with the exhibition.
Following its premiere at Forum Gallery, Linden Frederick: Night Stories will also be exhibited in Rockland, Maine from August 18 through November 5, 2017, at the Center for Maine Contemporary Art.
Linden Frederick: Night Stories opens with a reception for the artist on Thursday, May 11, 2017 from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, and will be on view through Friday, June 30, 2017. A new 132-page hardcover book, Linden Frederick: Night Stories, published by Glitterati Arts Incorporated, with stories by Anthony Doerr, Andre Dubus III, Louise Erdrich, Joshua Ferris, Tess Gerritsen, Lawrence Kasdan, Lily King, Dennis Lehane, Lois Lowry, Ann Patchett, Luanne Rice, Richard Russo, Elizabeth Strout, Ted Tally, and Daniel Woodrell will be available for $45 plus p&h.
Forum Gallery is located at 475 Park Avenue at 57th Street, New York, NY 10022. The exhibition begins on May 11, 2017 and will be on view through June 30, 2017. Forum Gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 5:30 pm.
For more information, please contact Kevin Dao, 212-355-4545; firstname.lastname@example.org